VNC / RDesktop questions

Dan Egli ddavidegli at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 01:28:45 MDT 2013

*At 11:32pm on April 19, 2013, Levi Pearson wrote:*

* *

*> No need to wait for Wayland. RDP is built into gnome now via 'desktop*

*> sharing' options, and there's xrdp that appears to be the XDM-style*

*> remote graphical login thing that Dan was asking for. Many*

*> virtualization solutions will provide a virtual console via VNC or RDP*

*> as well.*

* *

*That's cool. I like that. I'm not really a gnome fan (I've always
perferred KDE, although Gnome has it's uses), but I'll use it if that's the
easiest way to get this going.*

* *

*Basically what I am trying to accomplish is this: I'll have a small home
server that will be running all but headless (probably have a basic mouse
hooked up so X will load properly, but no keyboard or monitor) in the back
somewhere. However, I do need to be able to access the X session that will
be running on it (and please, don't lecture me about X on an internet
connected server. I'm going to have the router configured so the only
inbound connections from the net allowed to that machine are SSH
connections. All else gets blocked on the internet side. This really is the
only way to accomplish what I need). I don't really care that much if it's
a xDM login manager or something else that is giving me the Rdesktop
support, as long as it's there. It's all going to be on the LAN side so
latency isn't going to be much of an issue. However, I do want to be able
to HEAR as well as see what's going on. Will the desktop sharing option
allow audio translation too? Or will xrdp? Although I don't expect to be
doing a ton of work this way, I do wish to make sure that anything that
does happen on the server itself that causes signals to go to the sound
card (or sound chip on the motherboard) would be copied/redirected to the
sound system on the local workstation. And it needs to be able to do that
when the workstation is (unfortunately) Windows as well as when it's Linux.
I know Windows has RDP support built in, so that much is easy. But I'm
trying to ensure that whatever I do while remotely connected isn't
mute/video only. *

* *

*I know playing a video is a bad example, but it's the best I can think of
off my head. So I'll use it. If I open an AVI/MPEG/flash/whatever in
mplayer or vlc or another player program on the Linux server while
connected to it via rdesktop (or vnc) on my windows (ugh) computer, will I
hear the sound in the video? If not, how can I accomplish that? *

* *

*Thanks all!*

* *
*--- Dan*