VNC / RDesktop questions

John D Jones III unixgeek1972 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 15:33:00 MDT 2013

On 04/19/2013 01:13 PM, Levi Pearson wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Barry Roberts <blr at robertsr.us> wrote:
>

> Whatever is built into the gnome desktop sharing for RDP works pretty
> well. I'm not sure what xrdp uses, but I imagine they use the same
> underlying libraries. Haven't used xrdp personally, though.

There is also the Xvfb server, it's X11 compliant in every way, but runs
headless. You can install and run any Desktop Environment/Window Manager
you like and connect to it using VNC from any, VNC client, I believe
that RDP can be easy done as well. Since it Xvfb runs headless, you can
set up a master server, say in a BSD jail ( I do this any server env
will do ) and then connect that way to it. You could also spawn as many
new sessions as you like, so say on user login, spawn a Xvfb session,
assign it a DISPLAY variable and start VNC/RDP on that DISPLAY. in
~/.logout kill the associated Xvfb session. I'm really surprised that
this method isn't better exploited. I find it brutally useful for a
number of projects I manage around my home server setup.
My twenty two cents.

--
John D Jones III
Perl/Javascript/Systemd Zealot