VNC / RDesktop questions

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 12:15:24 MDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Daniel <teletautala at gmail.com> wrote:
> What do people think about No Machine's NX solution?

NX is great as a proprietary alternative to the straight X11 protocol
for remote display of applications.  It uses proxies and compression
and probably some other techniques I'm not aware of to reduce the
communication latency issues that plague X-over-WAN links.  But it
still communicates at the endpoints via the X11 protocol, so it'll
never work for logging into a Windows machine, which is my primary use
for VNC/RDP solutions.  NoMachine apparently has a new protocol that
will work with Windows and Mac servers, but I don't think it's free to
use like NX is.  RDP is a baked-in solution with modern Windows and
Linux desktops, though, and it works well enough for me.

While remote X sessions are cool in theory and sometimes in practice,
I find I have very little use for them.  I find latency in GUI apps
really frustrating, so I tend to work via remote file access or
command-line tools when I need to interact with a remote Linux
machine.  I pretty much only use RDP or VNC for communicating with
virtual machines on a LAN, and they work just fine in that context.