VNC / RDesktop questions

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 01:44:12 MDT 2013

On Apr 19, 2013, at 1:31 AM, Dan Egli <ddavidegli at gmail.com> wrote:

> *Hey all, here's a couple of questions for you.*
>
> *First, do the xDM programs (XDM, GDM, KDM, etc...) support the RDP (Remote
> Desktop Protocol) as well as the XDMCP (X Display Manager Control
> Protocol)? If not, what would be a good program to enable someone to
> connect to a KDE session (or other X session, but I prefer KDE) using the
> windows rdesktop program?*

RDP works pretty much like VNC does, though it's generally a bit more efficient in my experience. The X display managers generally aren't involved with either. Most people use VNC and RDP to share an existing desktop session over the network rather than a new one that isn't attached to a normal local desktop session, but I know there's an X server that just does remote display via VNC and I imagine there is a similar solution for using RDP. Neither involve XDMCP or X display managers, though.

> *Second, does either Rdesktop or VNC support audio as well as video? I.e.
> if something I do on the remote machine would generate sound through the
> sound card (playing a video, audio event, etc...), will either of those
> send the signal to the sound card of the computer I'm sitting at so I would
> hear it? If not, is there a way to accomplish something like that?*

I think there are solutions that extend VNC to do audio forwarding, but I think it's probably easier and more integrated with RDP. I couldn't say how to set it up with KDE, though.

        --Levi