[OT] Google Fiber (probably) coming to Provo

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Wed Apr 17 19:19:46 MDT 2013

UTOPIA is a great idea, but was initially mismanaged and then got hammered by the problems with the muni-bond market five years ago.  UTOPIA is in a much better place today than previously.

A similar deployment in Wyoming has gone very well. They took the lessons from UTOPIA and avoided the problems.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865552237/Wyoming-shows-how-cities-can-make-UTOPIA-internet-model-profitable.html?pg=all

Being on UTOPIA has been wonderful. My internal network is the bottleneck in how fast and how much I can transfer, not the ISP. I love XMission, but I know that I can choose from a bunch of other providers if I want too. For example, as my kids get more curious, I have been looking into which ISPs provide better filtering options. If the ISP owned the wires, I would not have much choice.

I think a successful UTOPIA will be a great benefit in a generation, but I fear that most tax payers are not that patient.

Richard

On Wednesday April 17 2013 15:29:33 Lonnie Olson <lists at kittypee.com> wrote:
<snip rant on UTOPIA>
> Wow, talk about misinformed.  Mis-management possibly.  Horrible
> business model, an exaggeration.  Cities do not own Utopia, they lend
> money to Utopia on a bond, that Utopia has to pay back over a long
> time.  Some cities have chosen to join into the Utopia network for
> reasons of improving network infrastructure.  This infrastructure is
> meant to increase competition, increase availability, increase speeds,
> etc.   This is exactly the purpose of local government, to provide
> infrastructure to the people (Police, schools, roads, water, sewer,
> etc).
>
> Now we can argue about the specific details and implementations that
> need improvement.  But the motivation of your local government was
> good, and the model they chose (Utopia) can work (or could have) and
> was less expensive and intrusive than running it all themselves,
> absorbing all costs, and probably screwing up even worse.
<snip>