[OT] Google Fiber (probably) coming to Provo

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Wed Apr 17 19:19:46 MDT 2013

UTOPIA is a great idea, but was initially mismanaged and then got hammered by the problems with the muni-bond market five years ago.  UTOPIA is in a much better place today than previously.

A similar deployment in Wyoming has gone very well. They took the lessons from UTOPIA and avoided the problems.

Being on UTOPIA has been wonderful. My internal network is the bottleneck in how fast and how much I can transfer, not the ISP. I love XMission, but I know that I can choose from a bunch of other providers if I want too. For example, as my kids get more curious, I have been looking into which ISPs provide better filtering options. If the ISP owned the wires, I would not have much choice.

I think a successful UTOPIA will be a great benefit in a generation, but I fear that most tax payers are not that patient.

<snip rant on UTOPIA>