[OT] Google Fiber (probably) coming to Provo

Robert Merrill robertmerrill at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 16:49:05 MDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Lloyd Brown <lloyd_brown at byu.edu> wrote:

> And at least some of the mayors of Utoipa cities apparently want it:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4ONiV_iRZZI
>
> Lloyd Brown

That was my first thought. It would be great if more people could get on
Google Fiber than just Provoans. It will be best-utilized if there were
more people/companies/schools/libraries, etc., than just Provo that can get
online. Anyone living here knows that "Provo" and all the surrounding towns
are really fairly small. It'd be cool if others could join in eventually if
the network normalizes out.  I am sure Goog wouldn't mind the additional
subscriber base from a some-what pre-built network.

I almost coughed up my drink when reading Provo Buzz's post (now seems
slashdotted, btw) stating that Provo is really just like Austin, Tx
(another Google Fiber town). Sure. We're "just like" Austin. Austin is 6x
larger in terms of population, 6x larger in terms of geography, and has an
economy of $86 billion in 2010. I can't find the numbers on Provo's
economy, but Wikipedia lists EIGHT (count-em) international companies in
town, three being network marketing industry, and another in the
summer-sales alarm industry. The Austin-Dallas corridor accounted for a
B$370 economy in 2008. No place in Utah even made the TechRepublic list
that year
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/top-10-megaregions-in-the-united-states/333.
They have SXSW, we have the Covey Arts Center.

I guess we're really similar afterall. lol

I love the idea of googFiber to my house. I am all-in! But, suddenly it
seems like everyone in town feels like we just put on our big-boy pants and
joined the technorati! Newsflash: We're all still white and nerdy. Now,
we're just white, nerdy, and able to frag you 100x faster than before.
#sucka