[OT] Google Fiber (probably) coming to Provo

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Wed Apr 17 15:38:30 MDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would be very, very concerned about Google buying Utopia.  Leasing
> capacity as a provider, ok.  But introducing yet another monopoly when we
> were promised competition would be emotionally disconcerting to me.

I agree, but the pessimist in me doubts Google would just join as a
Utopia provider.  Google has a historical tendency to want to control
all of that.  I think it would be more likely that Google would just
buy Utopia.  Since Utopia is still struggling, I think the Utopia
cities would jump on the chance to have it sold to get their money
back if Google was to offer.

If Google did neither and just competed with Utopia it would be
disaster.  Utopia can't compete with Google, and Utopia cities would
be left with defaulted bonds.  That would be sad.