[OT] Google Fiber (probably) coming to Provo

Todd Millecam tyggna at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 15:35:54 MDT 2013

I do wish that, for the terms of the sale, they don't actually sell it for
$1.  The difference on the bond's remaining value and what Google is
offering for free at fair market value comes out to about $6 million
that Provo residents would just lose in this deal.  So, I say, for safety
sake, we should ask Google for $10 million, be willing to go as low as $5
million (since cities often lose a bit of money to persuade ISPs to put in
infrastructure, which google will have to do), and use it to either
replenish the emergency fund that we had to pull from last year (since we
can't pay the bond off early anyway), or establish a trust fund to make a
portion of the payments on the bond and remove the tax-hike on electricity
that we put in place to deal with this problem last March.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Lonnie Olson <lists at kittypee.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Merrill Oveson <moveson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I hope they buy utopia.  I'm not happy that Orem raised my taxes to pay
> for
> > their utter mismanagement of this horrible business model.
> > I'm of the opinion that cities need to be cities and not dabble in owning
> > businesses.
> > Bad things can happen... like if a business is struggling that business
> has
> > to make changes, one of which is go out of business.
> > Now if a city owns a business and the business can't make it, the city
> > raises taxes - which is exactly what Orem did - and that costs me money.
> > - and that makes me poor and angry - especially I'm having to pay for
> > something that I don't even want much less use.
>
> Wow, talk about misinformed.  Mis-management possibly.  Horrible
> business model, an exaggeration.  Cities do not own Utopia, they lend
> money to Utopia on a bond, that Utopia has to pay back over a long
> time.  Some cities have chosen to join into the Utopia network for
> reasons of improving network infrastructure.  This infrastructure is
> meant to increase competition, increase availability, increase speeds,
> etc.   This is exactly the purpose of local government, to provide
> infrastructure to the people (Police, schools, roads, water, sewer,
> etc).
>
> Now we can argue about the specific details and implementations that
> need improvement.  But the motivation of your local government was
> good, and the model they chose (Utopia) can work (or could have) and
> was less expensive and intrusive than running it all themselves,
> absorbing all costs, and probably screwing up even worse.
>
> And your comment about not paying taxes for something you don't use is
> just plain silly.  Everyone pays taxes for things they don't use.  I
> don't have any kids, but I pay for the school system.  Some people
> don't drive cars, yet their taxes pay for the dept of motor vehicles.
> This kind of infrastructure is beneficial to society in general,
> that's what local government and taxes are for.

Todd Millecam