fail2ban ??

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 00:34:55 MDT 2013

Hello pluggers,

Still working with through issues with a system I'm building and was
wondering if anyone has had experience with fail2ban.  Specifically I would
like to rate limit failed SIP login attempts, but not necessarily ban
them.  It seems like a lot of PBX in a box type solutions use fail2ban,
with no really clear explanation of how or why it's being used.

Can anyone elaborate on this and whether or not this tool is the correct
choice if all I want to do is rate limit failed attempts on SIP?  Also does
this need iptables to function, or can it work standalone.

Thanks!