Apache died???

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Tue Apr 9 13:40:32 MDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ok this is probably just a rant from my own opinions and nothing more.

And this will be my reply, with my own opinions and nothing more.

> However if something is actively interfering with a well known service from
> doing it's thing, and doing so silently, then it's worse than useless.

It's keeping a well-known service from listening on non-standard ports.
One of the things I *like* about SELinux is that it keeps Apache from
listening on port 22, or port 23, or port 53.  (Or, port 8081, as you found
out.)  If you've ever had a web server compromised, you'd understand why
this is a good idea.

In short, just turning it off is the easy way out.  While you're at it,
turn off password and turn off the firewall on your system as well, because
they're just interfering with you doing your thing as well.  Oh, and those
pesky seat belts -- they get in the way too.

If, on the other hand, you decide you want to learn a bit more about a very
good tool for helping keep your system secure, one of the best resources
for learning SELinux is a presentation done by Thomas Cameron from Red Hat,
which you can find here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxjenQ31b70

Trust me -- investing an hour in watching that video will save you
countless hours in the future, both in knowing your way around SELinux, and
having a more secure system.  Is it a new tool to learn, sure.  Is it a bit
annoying until you learn your way around it.  Absolutely.  But could I in
good conscience tell you just turn it off -- no, I can't.  Friends don't
tell friends to turn off SELinux.

--
Jared Smith