Using usb 2.0 devices in KVM guest?

Jeff Jibson jeff.jibson at
Mon Apr 8 10:33:47 MDT 2013

I use this from kvm, and have never had a problem.

Run lsusb.  Insert the USB drive and run lsusb again.  The new line will be
that drive.

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0781:5530 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer

Then using the ID from the lsusb line, add:

-usb -usbdevice host:0781:5530

into your qemu-kvm command:

qemu-kvm -usb -usbdevice host:0781:5530 -hda ~/vm/test.raw -name test -m
512 -boot c &