Authenticating to a DB with a key?

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 22:38:50 MDT 2013

I have a server that will be on the public internet.
I'm afraid there is the possibility of it being compromised so I have
locked it down the best I can.  However it must also connect to a DB.  The
DB is behind a firewall and only accepts connections from the IP of the
small handful of servers that need to connect to it.

I'm still feeling a little paranoid and I'm wondering if there is any way
to do a certificate based login (MySQL or PostGres are options here).
Similar to how I use private certs instead of username password combos.
This way if my public box is compromised I can just revoke the cert.

Any experiences with this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance!