Noob question, but a good one. (It's actually Linux related!)

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 21:41:00 MDT 2013

Michael,

Thanks for the tip about freepbx.  The system is using freepbx along with
A2Blling.

FreePBX is used to setup the trunks and handle internal admin, A2Billing is
used for customer provisioning and management.
I had no real difficulty getting FreePBX setup on the system and everything
worked just fine when I put FreePBX on it's own box.

Unfortunately A2Billing is a real mess and cannot be split into chunks or
modules.
It's a design flaw that I consider a real security issue.

The reason is that A2Billing adds lines to the dialplan that cause it to
call a2billing.php for each phone call.  This particular file has a rats
nest of dependencies on the rest of the web system, and for some reason it
won't function at all unless Apache is running.  It will actually fail to
even connect to the DB if apache isn't running.  I gave up even trying when
I started seeing that happen.

Otherwise I would just install A2Billing sans apache on the server and let
the whole thing work from Asterisk realtime configs.  (Would sure be a
whole lot cleaner).

I really wish there were alternatives to A2Billing that are designed
specifically to work with a standalone asterisk box where the configs are
mapped from a remote DB.  That would actually be the ideal solution to all
my problems.