mdadm's Raid 10 driver

Dan Egli ddavidegli at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 01:01:18 MDT 2013

*On Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 19:16, Stuart Jansen wrote: *

*> You must have an old version, the man page on RHEL6 does.*

* *

*That figures. Someone should tell the guys at linuxmanpages.com to update
their pages. Meanwhile, since I don't have access to RHEL6 at the moment,
can someone tell me if this notation is valid for the mdadm.conf file?*

* *

*DEVICES /dev/sd[bcde]1*

*ARRAY /dev/md0 devices=/dev/sd[bcde]1 level=10*

*MAILADDR ddavidegli at gmail.com*

* *

*Specifically I want to make sure the brackets are valid within the ARRAY
line as well as the DEVICES line. In the mdadm.conf man page I see the
brackets in the examples for the DEVICES line but not in the ARRAY line.
Also, is there a way to specify hot spares in the ARRAY line? I have not
seen one listed and I'm curious if it is possible or even needed. Suppose,
just for safety and extra precaution, I have /dev/sdf1 that I want to be a
hot spare. According to the linuxmanpages.com page on mdadm I can set it up
using something like this (guessed a bit since the page says raid10 isn't
supported):*

* *

*mdadm -C /dev/md0 -l 10 /dev/sd[bcdef]1 -n 5 -x 1 --auto=yes   *

* *

*and it should create a raid 10 set on /dev/sdb1, sdc1, sdd1, and sde1,
along with a hot spare on sdf1. Could I do the same in my mdadm.conf file,
maybe like this:*

* *

*ARRAY /dev/md0 devices=/dev/sd[bcdef] spares=1 level=10*

* *

*Or would mdadm choke on that? Given that I've got basically zero
experience with mdadm this is all new to me so I'm sorry if I'm asking dumb
questions. I'm just asking what occurs to me and that I can't seem to
figure out on my own by looking at the linuxmanpages.com stuff while trying
to get this whole thing setup in my head and in my notes. *

* *

*Thanks for your help folks!*

*--- Dan*