Best practices for packaging?

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Thu Apr 4 09:29:49 MDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I know it's really bad practice to install development tools on a
> production box, thus my plan is to download the source, build it, then
> package it as a .deb and install the package via dpkg.

Best sources of packaging tutorials I have found are:
http://developer.ubuntu.com/packaging/html/
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/

However, when it comes to packaging a new version of an existing
package, I find it easier to grab the source package of the older
version, reading through it, understanding it's package, then
replacing the code in there with the new version and re-build.
This lets you skip through a lot of the basic structure stuff that you
don't need, also it will include lots of the strange quirks that the
expert packagers have already fixed.
$ apt-get source asterisk