Backing Up Everything to Removable Disks

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Wed Apr 3 18:51:42 MDT 2013

On 02/26/2013 10:19 AM, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Richard Esplin
> <richard-lists at esplins.org>  wrote:
>> I use rsnapshot as a layer over rsync so that I wouldn't have to figure out the rsync options on my own.
> Ditto. Works well and isn't over complicated. However, it requires
> Perl, hardlinks and rsync. Might not be that great on Windows ;)
>

> Best,
> Gabe

I'm a little late to this party, still catching up on backlog.

The last I used rsync-ish (unison actually) on windows with cygwin, it
was a miserable failure.  Copying files manually was faster.  As I
recall, it comes down to that each file has to be stat-ed, and doing
that through cygwin is really, really slow.  I think there was also
problems with permissions, ownerships, extended attributes, etc.  But
it's been a while, so I don't remember much except rsync/unison-cygwin
wasn't the solution I hoped it'd be.  I wish there was a decent
rsync-based client for windows; I've needed it on occasion.

;-Daniel Fussell