mdadm's Raid 10 driver

Dan Egli ddavidegli at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 02:46:57 MDT 2013

*Hey all. I am curious about something that was recently mentioned on this
list but seems to be in conflict with what I was just reading online. I was
examining the man page for mdadm that I found online and noticed it doesn't
mention raid 10 at all. I don't know if this is just an old edition of the
man page or what, but it mentions raid formats 0, 1, 5, 6, and a couple of
formats called linear and multipath. Now I know people were implementing
Raid 10 format for a long time by creating two raid 0s and putting them
into a raid 1 (or the other way around) and the mdadm man page I found
certainly seems to support doing that, but I've heard you all talking about
the Raid 10 driver in mdadm. So I have to ask. Did I just find an outdated
man page on the web or is there some kind of trick to get mdadm to support
raid 10 directly?*

* *

*Thanks!*

*--- Dan*