Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Tue Apr 2 10:28:39 MDT 2013

On Mar 28, 2013, at 10:25 AM, Steve Alligood <steve at betterlinux.com> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2013, at 9:14 AM, Doran L. Barton wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, March 28, 2013 08:32:19 AM Andy Bradford wrote:
>>> Can you point me to  this overwhelming plethora of system administrators
>>> who were clamoring for systemd?
>>
>> I definitely ran into frustration with init on several occasions. systemd is
>> more sophisticated and seems to solve a lot of problems init had. I'm still
>> wrapping my brain around it.
>
> ok, when an experienced guy like Doran is taking this long to wrap his brain around a new system (it's been out for what?  a year? two?) then it may just be a tad overcomplicated.
>
> I am not saying it doesn't address certain issues, or create some interesting new solutions, just saying from an admin standpoint, I appreciate the KISS principal, and with systemd versus init, only one of them is relatively simple.
>
> At this point, my opinion of systemd is far from complete.  In order to truly love or hate it I will have to spend the time to know it.  The issue is that until centos has it (I'm guessing next major rev), I won't take the time to fully learn it.  Fedora is for my home systems (mythtv, etc) and at home I just want things to work.

RHEL 7 (and thus also CentOS, SL) is slated to be based on Fedora 18 and will likely include all your favorites, including systemd, Gnome 3, the new installer, UEFI secure boot and more!

https://rhsummit.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/burke_rhel_roadmap.pdf
http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?showtopic=1855
http://www.redhat.com/about/news/archive/2012/6/uefi-secure-boot

JN