Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Mon Apr 1 11:50:04 MDT 2013

On 03/28/2013 07:43 PM, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-03-28 at 16:58 -0600, Daniel Fussell wrote:
>>> Can you even name any of the issues that PulseAudio addressed?
>> Yes, network audio; and I've never see pulse do even a half decent job
>> of that.  If there was another problem it solved, I'm not aware of it.
> Bzzzt, wrong. When PulseAudio was released one of the most popular
> complaints was that it didn't support network audio.
When I first saw Pulse as the default in my distro of choice at the
time, that was one of the features listed, and the only reason I took a
look at it.  At the time, I was trying to solve just that problem.

> PulseAudio has made life so much better you probably take it for
> granted. It introduced:
>
> - Seamless output switching. As sound hardware got cheaper and dumber,
> software became responsible for handling the transition from speakers,
> to headphones, to bluetooth, and back. Ever buy a fancy new laptop only
> to discover plugging in your headphones did nothing if there was already
> sound coming out the speakers? I did.

Nope.  Been running straight ALSA on all my work-a-day systems for
years, and I don't recall ever having a problem switching between
speakers and headphones.  Perhaps it was a function that was anticipated
by my sound hardware vendor and the driver supported it already.

> - Per-application volume control. So subtle you've probably never
> noticed it happening.
Actually, on the one machine I have PulseAudio on, yes.  And it's still
annoying.

> - Re-sampling so different apps could play at different frequencies.
> Remember the bad old days when some apps could play audio at the same
> time but others couldn't? This was part of the problem.
All I ever saw it do was corrupt the audio stream, especially on
machines without at least 2 processors.  I've seen some audio sync
issues with it as well.

And yes, I remember the bad-old days.  I also remember it was only a
problem with apps using OSS.  So as long as I wasn't playing OpenTTD, I
never saw the problem.  Frankly, it was a feature in my book; I hate
getting email notification chimes when I'm playing OpenTTD.  ;-)

> - Lower power usage. Your snide remarks aside, previous solutions used
> more power because they relied on frequent wakeups to avoid underflow
> while PulseAudio was carefully designed to dynamically readjust to wake
> up a little as possible while still maintaining responsiveness.

It made my laptop overheat, and killed my system performance on my less
heat-sensitive devices.  The only thing I've seen worse than that was
kdm on KDE4 releases before about 4.8.

Just to be clear, my snide remarks are simply a truthful representation
of my experience with PulseAudio, and are in no way a reflection on you
Stuart; your still my hero.  Well, you and Joe Hall anyway.