Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Mon Apr 1 09:44:14 MDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 1:57 AM, Dan Egli <ddavidegli at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting idea. Anyone happen to know if Gentoo is rolling over to this?
> Once I get to the point where I can rebuild that ailing home server I
> mentioned before I'd prefer Gentoo. However I'm very familiar with the old
> init script system and if Gentoo is using (or will use) systemd then
> perhaps I best spend some time boning up on it first. :)

It's not really a matter of rolling over.  They "roll over" all the
time and much more frequently than others.  Gentoo has a history of
providing options to use the latest stuff, long before most distros
even talk about it.  OpenRC is a perfect example, Gentoo gave up on
SysVinit and switched to OpenRC as a default init system long before
systemd and upstart were around.  OpenRC implements a lot of new
features.  Gentoo is clearly not a good choice for someone wanting to
stay old and crufty.  Stick to Debian Stable and Arch (somewhat) if
you are old and crufty.