[OT] Mobile App Dev for dummies

Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 00:32:40 MDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Steve Meyers <steve-plug at spwiz.com> wrote:
> On 9/29/12 2:27 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
>> Well you start by buying a Mac, then buying a developers' license (RMS
>> appears to have been quite prophetic in this regard), and downloading
>> the latest Xcode IDE.  And a book or two?
>>
>> That's really the only way.  It's Apple's way.  Their tools.
>
> You can actually cheat a little bit, thanks to Adobe.
>
> https://build.phonegap.com/
>
> I think you still need a license to put it in their store.

There is a whole bunch of device capability you can only get through
native APIs. And I'm relatively sure that Adobe's translation layer
will rarely be caught up and in sync with Apple's frameworks.

If you know C, learning Objective-C is quite easy. Stanford's material
is excellent and free, and we have some pretty darn good tutorials,
sample code, etc at http://developer.apple.com if you decide to sign
up for the developer program. I'm personally not a big fan of the
$99/year membership fee, but I don't really have any control over
that. There are also several great sites out there (there's a bunch
listed at http://cocoadev.com/wiki/CocoaTutorials).

BYU has an active CocoaHeads chapter and there's some pretty sharp
folks on their list
(https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/byu-cocoaheads).

I've done a minor amount of iPhone development and quite enjoyed it.
I've never actually done any Android development, but I don't like
Java.

--
Alex Esplin