FreeSWITCH Meeting Upcoming Prep

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Wed Sep 26 18:33:40 MDT 2012

With two weeks until my FreeSWITCH presentation, I thought I'd mention a
couple things so you can get the most out of it (of what little I'm
offering, anyway).

The goal is a small office setup.  We will be going over the following,
as this is very intro level, and FreeSWITCH is incredibly vast:
- FS architecture
- A brief, almost useless intro to SIP
- Getting and compiling FS (quick overview)
- Some typical module explanations and configurations
- The default dialplan (including some IVR stuff)
- Connecting phones to it
- Gateways (or "How I connect it to other people's phones")
- Where to go from there

You may wish to grab FS and compile it ahead of time on your laptop if
you want to follow along.  We won't be doing a whole lot of
modifications, so it will be relatively easy, (though we will explain
how).  You can go through a quick guide here, much of which we'll be
covering briefly: http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Installation_Guide If
I have anything I won't be typing up right there, I'll mail it out
before the presentation, though it's not the current plan.

You also may wish to bring a SIP phone (probably a soft phone on your
laptop or your android phone, I'm not going to have a massive switch or
anything) if you wish to try connecting it to my server, which will be
there for a bit after I'm done presenting for toying with as such.

Cheers,
-Tod Hansmann