My startup: Crossies.com

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Mon Sep 17 18:29:54 MDT 2012

On 09/17/2012 08:57 AM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> Try vudu.com they were recently bought by walmart and will store your
> existing videos for a small one time fee.  Also vudu is on many set top
> boxes now.
> On Sep 17, 2012 8:55 AM, "Ryan Byrd"<ryanbyrd at gmail.com>  wrote:
Last I read the small print, the walmart deal places a sticker on the
original media and you take it back home.  You get access to the online
copy (subject to existing deals with media companies), for a limited
period of time (IIRC it's 1 year).  Then you have to pay again each year
for continued access to the online copy.  I don't remember if generic
Linux distros were supported or not, but I don't think they were.

It's bad enough to pay through the nose for the video in the first
place.  It's worse to have the non-recurring expense of the physical
media suddenly gain a per-disk recurring expense; like a maintenance
agreement.  It would be cheaper in the long run to just buy the
children's movies again when they destroy the disk.  Or just stream in
from your media server.

;-Daniel Fussell