My startup: Crossies.com

John Fenley pontifier at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 17 04:50:01 MDT 2012

I'll respond inline as well...

> From: gabe at gundy.org
> Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 01:19:59 -0600
> Subject: Re: My startup: Crossies.com
> To: plug at plug.org
>
> John,
>
> See comments inline...
>

> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM, John Fenley <pontifier at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > My name is John Fenley. I could use some help with a business I'm starting that some people here may like.
>
> Why would we like it? Help us understand why this really is relevant
> to our group.

I believe in linux. I use it exclusively, and I'm making sure that my service works with it.
I'm local. I live in Provo, and the business will be based here.
I hate DRM and will not use it.

> > What we do:
> >
> > We facilitate the Buying, Selling, Storing, and Streaming of physical media.
> > Basically we hold our users media collections, stream them the content, and provide a stock market style trading system where supply and demand sets media prices.
> > This is specifically for media with a commercial value such as hollywood movies or similar (not home movies).
>
> Sounds interesting... yes, interesting.
>

> > How you can help:
> >
> > We need a user interface designer.
> > Our site is just in beta, and is pretty rough. It needs some capable hands to create a great interface for us.
>
> Is this a job offer? We like work. What specifically do you need? What
> are you willing to pay?

It is, kind of. I really need a good interface, and what I'm willing to spend is the $5000 prize money.

> > We need users.
> > If you want to try out the site (bad as it is) I can give you a code to make an account to see how it works.
> > Also, if you have a bunch of vhs tapes or dvds sitting around, I can add them to your account.
>
> Being curious about *just* how bad it is might drive me to check it out.

tables, tables everywhere... I can give out some beta codes if you'd like to check it out...

these will let you create accounts... each is one time use:
hwBXc5443P

CJ5zCGFpXK

Xc28YmSwBR

TJdkyffsa9

7CH24czAsn

> > We need money.
> > We are currently in a contest on SaltValleyTally.com and can win $5000 if we get enough votes by about october 9th
>
> We occasionally get requests like these, but they usually come from
> list members that have been regular contributors for a decade or more.
> Doing it as a first-post kinda makes it feel spammy.

I have been a list member for quite a while... I have about 24k messages from plug, but I just wasn't able to keep up with the list volume...
it's a great resource as it is... I love to search for a problem I'm having and see how someone on the list solved it.

> > There's tons more that we need help with, but I've used up enough of your time for now...
> >
> > John Fenley
> > www.Crossies.com
> >
> > P.S. Please, Please vote for Crossies on SaltVallyTally.com
>
> >From spammy to desperate... ouch :)

Yeah... I kind of am. the prize would mean a lot to me. It might make the difference between failing and going forward.

> Good luck. Starting a business can be hard. One of the hardest things
> will be learning how to appropriately ask for help.

I'm learning that.