My startup: Crossies.com

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Sat Sep 15 01:19:59 MDT 2012

John,

See comments inline...

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM, John Fenley <pontifier at hotmail.com> wrote:
> My name is John Fenley. I could use some help with a business I'm starting that some people here may like.

Why would we like it? Help us understand why this really is relevant
to our group.

> What we do:
>
> We facilitate the Buying, Selling, Storing, and Streaming of physical media.
> Basically we hold our users media collections, stream them the content, and provide a stock market style trading system where supply and demand sets media prices.
> This is specifically for media with a commercial value such as hollywood movies or similar (not home movies).

Sounds interesting... yes, interesting.

> How you can help:
>
> We need a user interface designer.
> Our site is just in beta, and is pretty rough. It needs some capable hands to create a great interface for us.

Is this a job offer? We like work. What specifically do you need? What
are you willing to pay?

> We need users.
> If you want to try out the site (bad as it is) I can give you a code to make an account to see how it works.
> Also, if you have a bunch of vhs tapes or dvds sitting around, I can add them to your account.

Being curious about *just* how bad it is might drive me to check it out.

> We need money.
> We are currently in a contest on SaltValleyTally.com and can win $5000 if we get enough votes by about october 9th

We occasionally get requests like these, but they usually come from
list members that have been regular contributors for a decade or more.
Doing it as a first-post kinda makes it feel spammy.

> There's tons more that we need help with, but I've used up enough of your time for now...
>
> John Fenley
> www.Crossies.com
>
> P.S. Please, Please vote for Crossies on SaltVallyTally.com

>From spammy to desperate... ouch :)

Good luck. Starting a business can be hard. One of the hardest things
will be learning how to appropriately ask for help.

BTW, this email might be the nice side of the list... if you really
are interested in engaging the PLUG, stick around and enjoy the heat
--you've earned it.

Best,
Gabe