snmp software

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Sep 14 16:12:48 MDT 2012

On 09/14/2012 03:50 PM, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Corey Edwards <tensai at zmonkey.org> wrote:
>> On 09/14/2012 12:09 PM, Joseph Hall wrote:
>>> Nagios is quality software, and as previously mentioned, is free in
>>> terms of the software itself. Zenoss also fits this category, and in
>>> my limited experience, I don't know anyone who has used both who
>>> doesn't prefer Zenoss.
>>
>> Zenoss rocks, but you knew I'd say that.
>
> Why do you love it?

I love the hierarchical organization of it. It makes creating and
maintaining monitoring templates so simple. The locations and groups
work the same way and greatly simplify downtime, events and searching.

The modeler is a dream come true. It senses what type of device it is
and starts monitoring automatically.

I've also gotten into the zendmd command line and python programming
interfaces and found them to be easy to use but extremely powerful. I
can auto-discover devices straight out of my customer database. Just now
I was using it to look for devices that are supposed to be monitored but
aren't getting added for some reason. Turned out to be an IP conflict.

Those are the ones I love. Everything else is pretty good and hasn't
driven me crazy yet. The alerting rules are backwards from what I'd like
(although version 4 changes that, but I'm still on 3).

My one recommendation would be to max out the RAM on your server.
Whatever you've got, it can use. We monitor almost 4000 devices and at
8GB it was not quite enough. We went to 32GB and it's been spectacular.

Corey