network problem

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Fri Sep 14 15:11:17 MDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Lloyd Brown <lloyd_brown at byu.edu> wrote:
> Sounds like the difference between a switch capable of Spanning Tree,
> and one that isn't.

Yep. I've seen that also. Some switches let you disable spanning tree
algorithm on a per-port and/or global basis.

Also, not always visible to the eye, if a cable has previously been
crimped, stretched, or sometimes simply curled too tightly it is
possible to lose its rated characteristics. You can get
seemingly-random errors that can manifest in bizarre ways. (I once had
a bad cable that handled HTTP just fine, but made FTP simply vomit and
caused some serious head scratching till we swapped out the cable--and
it had no visible damage. We took scissors to it immediately to make
sure it didn't get plugged in somewhere else by accident.)