network problem

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 23:24:19 MDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM, Levi Pearson <levipearson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052104&p_id=7857
> >
> > Monoprice is awesome. :)
>
> Thanks for the recommendation. Funny how I had already judged them
> based on the ugly url and the ".asp" :)
>
> Yeah, I'm shallow like that.

Originally they just had quality audio and networking cables at really
cheap prices.  They've since branched out quite a bit into commodity
electronic gadgets that are mostly a handful of parts and a custom
high-volume ASIC that are HUGE margin items for the brand-name
manufacturers.  A gigabit switch these days is pretty much just a single
chip and a bit of support circuitry, and volumes are so high and the NRE
has been so long recouped that they're trivially cheap.

Of course, a lot of that margin goes to offset the cost of the ridiculously
expensive low-yield chips that do new things or cool but relatively
uncommon things, so it's hard to complain too much.

       --Levi