network problem

Chris Wood chris at tincreek.com
Thu Sep 13 10:43:53 MDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Mike Lovell <mike at dev-zero.net> wrote:

> On 09/13/2012 09:45 AM, Merrill Oveson wrote:
> > Pluggers:
> >
> > Life is good.  Then suddenly someone just of of the blue loses his/her
> > network connection.
> >
> > I do the usual ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew and things return to
> normal.
> >
> > When I look in network settings, it's like he/she has lost the
> > physical connection.
> > I've even gone back and reconnected that person into the switch.
> >
> > Firewall seems ok.  I'm suspicious that my switches are performing up to
> par.
> >
> > Anybody know anybody who could help me:
> >
> > a) troubleshoot this.  I need to nail down the problem.

My guess would be bad cables or a more remote idea is the
laptop/pc/whatever.

1. Change to another port on the switch
2. Change to another wall port (the cable between the employee location and
the wiring closet)
3. Swap for a new cable from the wall port to the employee device
4. Swap for a new cable in the wiring closet from the switch to the patch
panel

A cable tester can be handy, but this approach above rules out all cabling
issues.

--
Chris Wood