network problem

Mike Lovell mike at dev-zero.net
Thu Sep 13 10:34:02 MDT 2012

On 09/13/2012 09:45 AM, Merrill Oveson wrote:
> Pluggers:
>
> Life is good.  Then suddenly someone just of of the blue loses his/her
> network connection.
>
> I do the usual ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew and things return to normal.
>
> When I look in network settings, it's like he/she has lost the
> physical connection.
> I've even gone back and reconnected that person into the switch.
>
> Firewall seems ok.  I'm suspicious that my switches are performing up to par.
>
> Anybody know anybody who could help me:
>
> a) troubleshoot this.  I need to nail down the problem.

do you see any indication lights on the network interfaces for both the
workstation and the switch? have you tried using a different port on the
switch? or tried a known good device in the problematic switch port?
those should help you narrow down which device is having the problem.

if i had to guess, i would put blame on windows first. there are a
myriad of things that can really screw up the windows networking stack.
i've seen windows get screwed up more often than i've seen switches die.
swapping switch ports around will quickly let you know if you should be
looking for windows help or switch help.

mike