Job opening at Ancestry.com - AppOps Engineer - Linux/windows automated configuration and deployment
robertj at linux4free.com
Tue Sep 11 10:00:00 MDT 2012
We actually have a couple positions open. I have been working here for a
number of years and love it.
Either apply directly(please put me down as a reference) and/or email me
your resume at robertj at ancestry.com
A key mantra at Ancestry is “You build it, you run it.” To do that, teams
need to effectively plug into the operations infrastructure. AppOps
engineers make that happen.
AppOps Engineers are hybrid software/systems engineers who ensure that
services run smoothly and have capacity for future growth. AppOps
engineers are embedded in Ancestry product and infrastructure teams, and
are core drivers in every significant engineering effort going on in the
company. They work with development teams to plug them into infrastructure
services and provide automated services for their teams as needed. AppOps
Engineers work as a liaison to web ops for their teams to make sure
everyone is working together to deliver business value.
*Key Responsibilities / Performance Requirements:*
- Share ownership in application or back-end services produced by
development teams and own the infrastructure/operations components like
servers, caches, etc. that those teams depend on.
- Write and review code, develop documentation and capacity plans, and
help debug hard problems
- Act as a liaison into the operations side to obtain the resources
necessary for the effective operations support for the development teams.
- Partner alongside the best engineers, participating in their product
planning, architecture, design, and infrastructure and capacity planning.
- Guide and advise teams in utilizing the operational infrastructure
effectively by helping them plug into infrastructure services like
virtualization, deployment, automated configuration management, monitoring,
- Together with your engineering team, you will share an on-call
rotation in supporting their service(s).
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline
or equivalent experience
- Extreme sound knowledge of sysadmin (Windows or Linux) and TCP/IP
- Ability to code really well in at least one scripting language (BASH /
Ruby / Powershell / Python / Perl / VBS / etc.)
- Ability to rapidly learn and read development languages (C#, Ruby,
C++, Java are all in heavy use)
- Ability to pick up new software, frameworks and APIs quickly
- Good knowledge of infrastructure automation (Chef, Puppet, or
- Solid knowledge of VM technology (ESX, HyperVisor, Xen, etc.)
- Sharp and tenacious troubleshooting skills--you can fix anything!
- Ability to perform "guerrilla capacity planning" for internet service
- Good knowledge of large-scale internet service architectures such as
load balancers and CDN's, even if you haven't worked on one
- Configuration and maintenance of common applications such as IIS, SQL
Server/MySQL, DHCP, NTP, SSH, DNS, switches, load balancers, etc.
- Good verbal and written communications skills. Knowledge and use of
MS Visio a huge plus.
- Detail oriented and careful
*Working for Ancestry.com*
Ancestry.com is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy
environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of
technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their
families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and
challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of
passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a
competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our
benefits and career information, please visit our website at
Ancestry.com Inc. is interested in you and we are dedicated to building a
diverse workforce with equal opportunities for employment.
More information about the PLUG