Standalone Cable TV Tuner?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 18:20:25 MDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 9:55 AM, AJ ONeal <coolaj86 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to hook up Cable TV to my projector (VGA / RCA / HDMI) and audio out
> to my speakers.
>
> A) Is cheap cable still analog?
> (comcast is provided "for free" by my apartment complex)
>
> B) Any recommendations on a standalone tuner?

The cheapest cable will probably have a mix of analog and digital channels
these days.  Probably only a few local stations will be analog.  A
HDHomerun will pick out the unencrypted digital channels, as has been
mentioned, but it will not do analog channels nor any encrypted digital
channels.  The cheapest way to hook analog cable to your projector is
probably an old VCR with RCA outputs, but the really cheap ones are
difficult to find new and new ones sometimes don't have tuners in them
anymore.  If you don't have an old one lying around, you could pick one up
at a thrift store.

       --Levi