Standalone Cable TV Tuner?

Benjamin Francom bfrancom at
Mon Sep 10 17:11:16 MDT 2012

I use Comcast for Internet.  Basic cable comes for free (at least for me)
which the HDHomerun (regular) picks up without a cable box. I'm pretty sure
it's digital since some content comes in HD.
I called Comcast and said I don't really want the cable, and asked them to
remove it, but they won't.
When I moved, and asked them to run an extra cable down to the TV. They
wouldn't do that since I only had the Internet package...but they said it's
fine to connect it on your own.

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Corey Edwards <tensai at> wrote:

> On 09/10/2012 09:55 AM, AJ ONeal wrote:
> > I want to hook up Cable TV to my projector (VGA / RCA / HDMI) and audio
> out
> > to my speakers.
> >
> > A) Is cheap cable still analog?
> > (comcast is provided "for free" by my apartment complex)
> Yes, I'm sure it's analog. If you don't need a cable box for it, it's
> analog.
> > B) Any recommendations on a standalone tuner?
> Another vote from me for the HDHomeRun for digital. I've been using one
> with Myth for years and the only problem I've had was from their bad
> batch of power supplies. If you just want to watch live TV, you don't
> need any special software. VLC (and I'm sure many others) can stream
> directly from the HDHomeRun.
> But for analog, you'll need something else. If you're looking on ebay,
> make sure the decoder says NTSC as that's the analog TV standard.
> Corey
> /*
> PLUG:, #utah on
> Unsubscribe: