Standalone Cable TV Tuner?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Mon Sep 10 16:03:24 MDT 2012

On 09/10/2012 09:55 AM, AJ ONeal wrote:
> I want to hook up Cable TV to my projector (VGA / RCA / HDMI) and audio out
> to my speakers.
>
> A) Is cheap cable still analog?
> (comcast is provided "for free" by my apartment complex)

Yes, I'm sure it's analog. If you don't need a cable box for it, it's
analog.

> B) Any recommendations on a standalone tuner?

Another vote from me for the HDHomeRun for digital. I've been using one
with Myth for years and the only problem I've had was from their bad
batch of power supplies. If you just want to watch live TV, you don't
need any special software. VLC (and I'm sure many others) can stream
directly from the HDHomeRun.

But for analog, you'll need something else. If you're looking on ebay,
make sure the decoder says NTSC as that's the analog TV standard.

Corey