Blogging software, or sites

Alan Evans alanwevans at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 17:26:31 MDT 2012

I would check out various CMS web apps like:

Drupal www.drupal.org
Wordpress www.wordpress.org
e107 www.e107.org
PHPNuke www.phpnuke.org
.NETNuke www.dotnetnuke.com
JBoss Portal www.jboss.org/jbossportal
Liferay Portal www.liferay.com
Alfresco www.alfresco.com
...there are dozens more.

Most of the CMS I have some experience either have built in support
for bogging including tagging and viewing posts based on tags or have
add-ons that will do just that.  Drupal for example (I know it best)
has a module called Taxonomy which can be used for classifying
content.  A taxonomy can be either a fixed list of categories or a
free form "blogging" style tagging.  Taxonomies can even be
hierarchical.  RC - Cars, RC - Planes, RC - Boats all of which are
members of the RC taxonomy implicitly.  The taxonomy module has some
functionality built in for creating pages like you are looking for but
when combined with the Views module you can do some really incredible
stuff.  Though the learning curve might be higher than you are looking
for as Views are really powerful and have a lot of options.

As for virtual hosting (I pick on Drupal again) the views module +
taxonomies + virtual hosts (sites in Drupal terminology) could do some
really powerful stuff for you.  Not to mention what you can do with
the other subsystems.  cars.rc.example.com might give one set of blog
articles and in a theme appropriate to RC cars and
planes.rc.example.com does the same but for RC planes.

I talk a bit about Drupal because I know it a bit (by no means am I an
expert) but I suspect the other CMS above have similar functionality.
In particular I would think that Wordpress has all of this or similar
functionality implemented as a module or add-on (not sure what term
they use) or it may just be baked right in.

I am pretty sure that Liferay and Alfresco (which intends to be an
Open Source replacement for a particular Microsoft Enterprise Content
Management System) also have blogging modules either built in or
available as add-ons/modules.

Hope that helps,
-Alan