Java problem on Fedora 17

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Wed Oct 31 12:00:33 MDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does the build spike the CPU when you run java in headless mode?  Try
> setting JAVA_OPTS to "-Djava.awt.headless=true" and see if you still
> have CPU issues.

I forgot to mention that, but that was one of the first things I tried
since I learned that years ago on Solaris, and it's standard config
for our Tomcat servers.   It didn't help.

Even though the CPU spikes most programs are still responsive.  And
it's not always the same ones that stop responding.  Since the rest of
the system still feels fast, it feels like an event loop or resource
lock issue.  Until the mouse cursor stops moving and all keystrokes
are ignored.  But even then, sometimes I can still ssh in from my
laptop.

Plus, I wasn't even doing a build today, i was actually running a java
GUI program.  Can't run that headless.