Java problem on Fedora 17

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 09:02:58 MDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Barry Roberts <blr at robertsr.us> wrote:
> This is incredibly frustrating.  I'm planning on a fresh install of
> Fedora 18 as soon as it's beta, but if anybody has any ideas what
> could cause java programs to hang and cause oddly selective
> interfernce with other programs (or occasionally just hang X), I would
> love to hear about it.

Does the build spike the CPU when you run java in headless mode?  Try
setting JAVA_OPTS to "-Djava.awt.headless=true" and see if you still
have CPU issues.  I'm wondering if the AWT/Swing GUI stuff in the JDK
is trying to interface with newer versions of native libs that aren't
playing nice (X libs, Pango for fonts, etc).  Even though you may not
be doing anything graphical (such as running ant), the AWT subsystem
may still be getting initialized.  I don't know if this will make any
difference at all, but it will help rule some things out.

-Bryan