Java problem on Fedora 17

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Wed Oct 31 08:31:55 MDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Barry Roberts <blr at robertsr.us> wrote:

> I did that a coupla days ago.  This has been one of those "work on it for a few minutes here and there" problems for several days.  I think it  still hung even from a text console.  Otherwise I would have used that as the workaround until I figured out the actual problem.
>
> But for now I'm calling it the !#@$& proprietary ATI driver.  I've done several builds since I went back to the free radeon driver and no problems so far.  Grrr.
>
> I was really liking GNOME Shell, but I can live with XFCE.  It sure seems fast now.
>
> Barry

Grr.  I'm still running X using the Radeon driver, XFCE as my WM, and
today I started up SQuirrel SQL (a Java GUI app) and it hung loading
plugins for several minutes.  An Emacs (also X) hung for the whole
time.  That java process was eating CPU (1771%) during that time.
Killing the process required a -9, but emacs started responding
immediately.

This is incredibly frustrating.  I'm planning on a fresh install of
Fedora 18 as soon as it's beta, but if anybody has any ideas what
could cause java programs to hang and cause oddly selective
interfernce with other programs (or occasionally just hang X), I would
love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Barry