Java problem on Fedora 17

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Thu Oct 25 11:53:42 MDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any difference in the machine's behavior when you run the build
> form a text-mode virtual console?  Maybe X11 is messing things up.
> Sometimes even text scrolling across an xterm can bring X11 to its knees
> and every process will then hang that's trying to communicate with X11.
>  Maybe uninstalling the ATI drives will fix things like you say.

I did that a coupla days ago.  This has been one of those "work on it for a
few minutes here and there" problems for several days.  I think it  still
hung even from a text console.  Otherwise I would have used that as the
workaround until I figured out the actual problem.

But for now I'm calling it the !#@$& proprietary ATI driver.  I've done
several builds since I went back to the free radeon driver and no problems
so far.  Grrr.

I was really liking GNOME Shell, but I can live with XFCE.  It sure seems
fast now.

Barry