Java problem on Fedora 17

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Thu Oct 25 10:46:45 MDT 2012

I don't think the problem is with the build itself.  Several developers do
this on their Windows and Linux desktops without issues, and my jenkins
server (linux) builds every few minutes without showing this problem.  I'm
pretty sure it's a configuration or other problem with my desktop.

It's not thrashing.  I have 12 GB of RAM, and I do have 5MB of swap used
after 38 days of uptime, but that doesn't change during the build.  The
build process(es) do use a lot of CPU during normal building and while
they're apparently "hung."

I've tried to look for hardware errors, but there's nothing in dmesg and
smartctl says:
Device does not support SMART

Error Counter logging not supported
Device does not support Self Test logging

I'm about to un-install kmod-catalyst (from rpmfusion) because that is the
biggest thing that''s changed since I was successfully building on this
desktop a few weeks (months?) ago.

When I can kill the hung java process, everything seems to recover almost
immediately.