Java problem on Fedora 17

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 10:34:39 MDT 2012

On 10/25/2012 10:13 AM, Barry Roberts wrote:
> I'm not sure when this started or got so bad, but I have a java/ant build
> that normally just takes over a minute.  Now during that build, it will
> hang, sometimes for several minutes.  During that time my chromium or
> Firefox might also hang.  I can switch tabs, but chromium will pop up the
> "Kill this window" dialogs, and loading pages will just spin in firefox.]

When everything hangs, can you kill the java compile process immediately
and have everything unfreeze fairly instantly?  Or does it take a while
for things to settle down?  Is your hard drive light going light mad
when things are hung?  What is your load average during the hang?  Are
any processes in the "D" or uninterruptible sleep stage?  If you run top
and sort by memory usage, how much VSS/Virt are your largest processes
(shift-m to sort by that)?  What is your swap file usage at that point?

I agree with Todd, that this problem could come from Java causing thrashing.

Or it could be that your hard drive has I/O errors in the place where
Java is working.