Meeting this Wednesday at 7:30pm -- FreeSWITCH

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Mon Oct 15 00:23:16 MDT 2012

On 10/14/2012 2:05 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> Sure.  Sipgate is simply a SIP provider that gives me a free incoming
> (outgoing too if I chose) phone number.  If I used sipgate as a google
> voice callback, then I don't have to have my FreeSwitch or asterisk
> server logged into google chat all the time and have people try to chat
> with it, sine the same account is my main chat account that everyone
> uses to talk to me.  That's really the main problem with all existing
> google voice solutions that use google chat as the "trunk."
>
> In the days before google talk integration into Asterisk or FreeSWITCH,
> scripts were hacked to, upon placing a call would place this channel in
> some sort of room/wait state, task google to place the call and call
> back to a certain number that the pbx could answer and then connect it
> to the original channel.  As hackish as this is, it would work better
> for me than the google talk solution, for the reason I mentioned in the
> first paragraph.

Ah, I see.  The link I provided would definitely be logging into your
gtalk account.  You can, however, get FreeSWITCH to do what you're
asking, though you would do some fancy variable mongering on the
channels to make sure they get connected.  Perhaps it would be easier
managing it with a conference (just put your original call into a
special conference room, and then have Google Voice call the conference
room and your original number via the script).

An interesting concept to say the least.  I'm sure there's someone that
has done something with this already in the community.  Finding them may
be easy or difficult, I haven't tried myself.  It might be worth 20
minutes of searching the mailing list archives or whatnot.

-Tod Hansmann