Meeting this Wednesday at 7:30pm -- FreeSWITCH

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Thu Oct 11 11:52:01 MDT 2012

I need to make this quick.. I am on vacation you know ;)

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any good mailing lists or online forums where FreeSWITCH tips
> are shared and newbie questions answered?  Any local users groups?

The "bridge" book is pretty good place to start. Reading it would get
you going. Following the mailing list is a good way to pick up on
those little tips and tricks that you can't get anywhere else.

> Haven't done a thing with FreeSWITCH, but I certainly will in the
> future.  I have several lingering questions about FreeSWITCH...  Is it
> possible (with the right SIP phones of course) to do what Cisco does
> where a phone can show more than one extension (they used to call these
> lines in the olden days), and an extension can show up on more than one
> phone?  And most importantly can I place a call on hold and pick it up
> on any phone where this extension is showing up?  Hope that makes sense.

For more than one line on a phone, you're looking at a phone feature.
Most have it.  For the line to be available on more than one endpoint,
you need to allow that on the server. In FreeSWITCH, it's a mod_sofia
option:

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Sofia#Multiple_Registrations

> That's the standard way a Cisco IP phone is set up in many offices.  In
> my BYU office, the secretary, my boss, and my phone would all show the
> same extensions and we could place a call on hold and pick it up on any
> of those phones.  Course my phone defaulted to my own number for
> outbound calls.

It can be more nuanced than this too. You can have shared line
presence and pick up calls for other extensions without having them
registered on your phone.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best,
Gabe