New member in Lehi

Benjamin Francom bfrancom at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 15:21:19 MDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Matt Melvin <rage_311 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm poking around in Thunderbird as we speak. Seems to be the best
> cross-platform client, as far as I can determine.
> Now I'm just wondering if I can replace Outlook with Thunderbird
> completely on the work front, and use it as my
> email client all-around. I have to deal with an exchange server, etc.
> during the day and would like to migrate
> everything to a different client, including the calendar and meeting
> invites.  Anyone have experience with this?

Thunderbird via IMAP works pretty well along with the "Lightning" extension
and "Exchange 2007/2010 Calendar and Tasks Provider" extension for
calendar/tasks.  Beware of the latter extension as it is not compatible
with Thunderbird 15.  To get the addresses to populate from AD during
compose, see here:
http://www.initcron.org/sysadmin/how-tos/configuring-thunderbird-with-exchange-ldap-directory-addressbook-with-autocomplete/

For just a straight e-mail client however; mutt is where it's at:
http://www.mutt.org

Oh, and vi because in my experience it is usually installed by default on
the *nix systems I've come across, while emacs is not.

--
Benjamin Francom
Information Technology Professional