speed up queries with sdd

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Mon Oct 1 13:29:21 MDT 2012

There are a few things to consider with a relatively busy mysql on SSDs.

1) admins have little control over developers.  Developers program what makes sense at the time to get the job done on a deadline.  Admins do what makes sense to make those programs run with good performance.  Sometimes there are debates, arguments, etc over what is "best".

2) most of the time when you write to a table, the cache for that table invalidates.  A database that is busy with writes has few speed advantages of a good cache, so SSDs can drastically speed up the reads AND writes.

3) Sasha is definitely correct in methods of optimizing databases, and I strongly suggest people do as many of those as they can.  In a large database, almost everything you can do to optimize performance is worth doing.  If even 10% of your transactions on a busy database are sped up by using SSDs, it can justify those SSDs, and most places I have used them it was a much larger increase by using them.

-Steve