speed up queries with sdd

Matthew Walker mwalker at kydance.net
Mon Oct 1 10:19:51 MDT 2012

On 10/01/12 10:16, Lance Grover wrote:
> I have put a mysql server on a Fusion IO Solid State drive and yes it
> really speeds things up, however I have not tried a regular SSD that would
> connect to a SAS interface but I would believe it would.  Fusion IO drives
> is basically a PCI card, so it is not limited to the SAS speeds.  Also be
> aware that regular SSD don't usually write and re-write in an efficient
> way, they only have a finite number of writes and if the drive is
> constantly written to on one of the specific chips, that chip will die, and
> the drive will fail.
I doubt any modern SSD doesn't have write-leveling built into the drive
firmware, so this is a bit alarmist. Yes, SSDs have limited writes, but
they deliberately balance the load across the addresses. This would only
be a likely problem to see on a mostly-full drive where you're only
re-writing a limited portion of the data.

Matthew Walker