speed up queries with sdd

Lloyd Brown lloyd_brown at byu.edu
Mon Oct 1 10:10:49 MDT 2012

I could be wrong (I'm not our office's resident MySQL guru), but I think
that MySQL does some significant caching into DRAM.  So, if you're
worried about the query time of an uncached query, then possibly, but
otherwise, I'd just let the caching algorithm handle it.  Also depends
on what you're requirements are, in terms of how many unique queries
(therefore not cached) per second, total queries per second, etc.

I'm not saying that SSDs don't have their uses, but many times it's not
the best solution.  Certainly not the most cost-effective.

Lloyd Brown
Systems Administrator
Fulton Supercomputing Lab
Brigham Young University