What's going on with FLOSS devs these days

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 13:32:05 MST 2012

On 11/23/2012 01:05 PM, Richard Esplin wrote:
> When I started the list I was thinking of all of these as recent events. I guess I'm getting old.

Maybe when OSS projects starting getting large and popular, they tend
this way.  I guess I can see how the bazaar method of development can't
completely work for projects that have a huge code base.  On the other
hand I hate to see how Linux software development has become so
cathedral-oriented and resembling opaque commercial development
methodologies more and more.  Maybe it's a consequence of the amount of
commercial involvement these days.  Gnome and GTK+ really are vital to
RH's success, and so they have kind of taken them over.  He who has the
gold sort of thing.  Or maybe just human egos.  As we've seen with
LibreOffice and X.org it is possible to fork these large projects.

My concern after reading that article was particularly with GTK+.  It
seems like more and more GTK+ is the "Gnome Took Kit" and not just a
widget GUI framework anymore.  I don't particularly care for Gnome but I
would like to develop little apps with GTK+ from time to time, and I'd
like them to run on any OS and desktop environment.  GTK+ devs no longer
seem to care about that use of their toolkit.  I think if I needed to
start a major deskop app these days I'd pick Qt, just because it isn't a
brand, it's not about a particular look or platform.