What's going on with FLOSS devs these days

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Fri Nov 23 13:05:26 MST 2012

This happens regularly, and I don't think it is a new thing.

Off the top of my head:

* Gnome 3
* Gimp's "streamlined" interface in summer of 2012
* KDE4
* KDE Akonadi
* Ubuntu and Unity
* Firefox's handling of HTTPS certificate exceptions
* Firefox insisting that it should be more like Chrome

All of these resulted in outcry from users. Many of these resulted in the project eventually backing off from the extreme decisions but only after losing some of their previous momentum.

When I started the list I was thinking of all of these as recent events. I guess I'm getting old.

Richard

On Friday November 23 2012 10:55:35 Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> wrote:
<snip>
> Gnome is definitely plagued by a self-destructive attitude, but I don't
> see this as a sign of any major problems in the FLOSS world.  Are there
> any other particular examples that are representative of a wide-ranging
> problem?
<snip>