What's going on with FLOSS devs these days

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 08:39:13 MST 2012

On 11/23/2012 06:14 AM, Barry Roberts wrote:
> First, comparing to the kernel is probably a bad analogy here.  Linus has
> long been adamantly opposed to a long-term stable kernel ABI.  And it seems
> that's what most of the complaints are about here: shifting API's for
> plugin, themes, notifications, etc.

Right.  Linus may be a hard-nosed dictator, but I've never heard of him
not responding to genuine requests from end users or companies using
linux and just putting things in the Kernel that he feels matches his
personal vision of Linux's "brand."  Linus says inflammatory things
often, and doesn't suffer fools gladly, but I've never heard him say
some of the things the GTK+ devs has said in response to bug reports and
asking to re-add features that used to be there.  For example, Linus is
not going to remove the old IDE subsystem because "you should be using
SCSI or SATA, not IDE, fools."  Things bitrot and are removed, of course.